On 5/6/2020 9:53 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:
Comments on my blog post suggested the Koss SB45 as another alternative. This
also has an electret mic, but somewhat different fit over the ears, and it is
cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-sb45-SB-45-Communication-Stereophones/dp/B00081A2CW

K6LL, a serious contester, likes this headset. I noted this in a piece I wrote several years ago for National Contest Journal. GM3SEK reported that Yamaha products are not sold in the UK, and that his wife likes the lighter weight Koss CS100 headset.
http://k9yc.com/ContestAudio.pdf

Do not get the Koss SB40. That is the same headset as the Yamaha CM500, but
with an inferior dynamic mic.

There is nothing inherently inferior about dynamic mics, especially for speech -- the vast majority of mics used in sound reinforcement and broadcasting are dynamic mics. But like any technology, some products are better than others.
It is normal for earpads to wear out. I replaced the pads on my Grado SR225e
phones after five years.

Yes. I replace earpads on my Sony MDR7506 periodically.

For many things we wear, comfort can be important, and, with headsets, that depends on the size and shape of our heads and even our ears, as well as the design and manufacturing quality of the headset. For many years, I've slept wearing Sony MDR7506 phones listening to jazz, and I also use them working CW-only contests. I find the CM500 equally comfortable.

73, Jim K9YC