History is more than a little ambiguous. Wikipedia ascribes the "first high-powered" Talk Box to Bob Heil [K9EID] for Joe Walsh, [WB6ACU] which was a 250 watt amp + hi-pass filter.  However, Walsh credits an EE and steel guitarist [Bill West] with inventing it.

Peter Townshend claims to have invented a version of the Talk Box during a Who tour in 1976.  However, Bob Heil sold the manufacturing rights to Dunlop Mfr. building them to Heil's 1973 design standards.  Peter Frampton says he first heard a Talk Box in 1970, and that Bob Heil gave him a custom built one as a Christmas present in 1974.  He became proficient at it and is now often associated with it.  It appears that every musical performer since then has used a Talk Box and at least a few assert invention.

I use a Heil ProSet IC however I'm rarely on SSB.  When I have been on, I often get unsolicited "great audio" comments, no doubt because of my sonorous broadcast voice as much as the proset. [:=)  I use a CM-500 when operating W7RN remotely but I've never done phone remote.  I find the ProSet to be a little easier on the ears with prolonged use than the CM-500, but both work well for me.  As has been mentioned, a lot depends on how you place the mic and how you tailor the TX response and compression.  I guess all microphones tend to accentuate the bass as you get closer and closer, exactly the opposite of what you want for communications. Electrets seem to be fairly immune to this, the old classic RCA 44-BX was notorious for the effect.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County