On 6/1/2020 5:47 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
  Ten-Tec Tuner,

This might be it, Peter. ! I've used (and loved) the Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners, but some of their fixed capacitors are under-rated for power. This is fairly well known among Ten Tec users, so I read about it somewhere and replaced those in my tuners with caps having higher power ratings.

There's another design flaw -- their antenna selection switch fails to to provide a return for RF current, using the chassis instead. This adds inductance in series with the signal path, which increasingly degrades SWR and crosstalk with increasing frequency. Palstar makes the same mistake in tuners I saw at Dayton 8-10 years ago. When I pointed it out to a guy in their booth who claimed to be its designer, he told me I was crazy!

73, Jim K9YC