Yes, it's "surprising" how much surprise there seems to be that the KX3 (and
almost any other ham rig) DC power connector's negative terminal connects
ultimately to the case.

Let me "flog a dead horse".  This whole affair amounts simply to this:

1.  The KX3 case and the power supply's negative output were tied together
through an owner-established conduction path that was independent of the KX3
power cable.
2.  The KX3 power cable was carelessly installed such that power supply
positive output was on the KX3 power connector's negative terminal.
3.  When the KX3 power connector was applied to the KX3, the power supply's
positive terminal was shorted to its negative side through the power cable and
KX3 case and whatever external conduction path the owner had established
between the KX3 case and power supply negative.

The KX3's D6 polarity protection diode did not come into play in any manner.

It is common good practice for DC power cables to have fuses in BOTH the
positive AND the negative leads.  That would have prevented power cable damage
here.

Mike / KK5F