On 2020-09-06 09:26:-0400, Mike Morrow wrote:
>Yes, it's "surprising" how much surprise there seems to be that the KX3 (and
>almost any other ham rig) DC power connector's negative terminal connects
>ultimately to the case.

So I don't routinely get into this level of ham gear assembly...but I find that
I am increasingly going there.
When I read "DC power connector's negative terminal", I immediately think of +
and - rails, and a neutral ground. I do understand that when I look at barrel
connector, the icon usually shows a + and - terminal. But it seems to me that
the - terminal is really ground...not a negative rail.
I can see how, even with my terminology, swapping leads on a power connector
can lead to shorting + to ground.
So are we really saying that the case is connected to ground, when we say
negative terminal?

>Let me "flog a dead horse".  This whole affair amounts simply to this:

I understand the SOE that led to this event....I am only addressing
nomenclature. But thanks for succinctly summarizing...