I don’t know how their Y cable is wired, but a simple wiring will tie the
logic bias (mic buttons) and mic bias together. That gives a lower bias
voltage and lower mic output for some mics. It also adds some noise,
because the logic bias isn’t as clean as the mic bias.

You can split out the mic bias with a stereo splitter. Details in this blog
post:

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/

<https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/>

wunder