"I took the cover off mine and verified that the shunt resistor was missing and
the series one measured 228 ohm.  Clearly, if this is dynamically switched
while seeking a match the poor exciter is going to be totally confused. "

The list and private replies I have seen seem to show the attenuator with both
resistors presents a reasonable match to the exciter.  The attenuator with R7
removed presents a horrible match to the exciter.

With the single resistor attenuator active my TS-590S load is so bad that it
folds back to very lower power output, far too low for the tuner to continue
the tune cycle, so it would then switch out the attenuator.  However, I don't
see any sign that the attenuator is ever switched in circuit on my KAT500.  I
have only recently added ATTN to my monitoring and recording so I have no data
from firmware 1.75 or earlier.  If I get bored I may load 1.75 to see if I can
detect attenuator activation.

Andy, k3wyc