Another problem with cleaning flux is ionic contamination.  The activator in the flux, which is necessary to get the solder to stick, is acidic.  As long as the flux is left alone, the ionic contamination is trapped in the rosin where it can do no harm.  But when you dissolve it with alcohol or another solvent is is spread over the surface of the board, unless you do a VERY thorough job of cleaning it off.  That can cause electrical leakage between circuit nodes and potentially corrosion.

The only reason for removing flux is purely cosmetic.  When I was at HP/Agilent the rule in production and service was that any flux remaining on the board due to re-work or repair was just left in place.

Alan N1AL