Did the KPA500 show an asterisk (*) when key down?  If not, it's not seeing the PTT actions (key out).

If the KAT500 is content with the match, you'll only hear one fast kerchunk of the relays (test, happy, shaddup).  If it's not trying, it may not be seeing the PTT and/or RF.  (Has the K3 transmitter been calibrated lately?)

Reseat all the cables and verify the settings in the KAT500 for 10 meter operation (antenna choice); over time some minor corrosion can appear.

And make sure that the tuning output level of the K3 is set at 10-25 watts (and shows output too).  Mine was set at 10 watts and consistently worked (now I use a K4, KPA1500 and a much better antenna, no tuner needed).

If CW, was VOX on?

GL,
Rick NK7I