Chuck:

> On May 1, 2022, at 10:04 AM, Chuck MacCluer <macclue...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The K3 and K3S are dead ends --- they are frozen at their present
> capabilities. The K4 is a partially filled canvas that can improve over
> time. For example, the K4s I hear on the air still have, like the K3xs,
> that ugly popup in the unwanted sideband. They compare in this respect
> unfavorably with the lowly IC-7300. But the K4 will someday possess
> predistortion and consequently a pristine transmitted SSB signal. Unlike
> its predecessors, the K4 has an unlimited future. That's the nature of a
> full SDR.

Your point is certainly well taken.  Performance enhancements, new features,
bug fixes, etc. are all possible given the old adage, “It is simply the
software.”

That said, exactly how a product line evolves over time can have a huge impact
on both current customers and perspective customers. One can certainly argue
that those that jumped in line on the day of product announcement for the K4
are ‘early adopters’ who are willing to purchase a hardware design and then be
relatively patient waiting for the software/firmware to evolve to the point
that announced features are made available.  The tradeoff is that ’needed
features’ may lag behind the ‘basic features’ and that those that forked out
real $$$$ for the latest generation of hardware may start to get ‘antsy’ about
not being able to take full advantage of a product’s “potential” as
software/firmware evolves later.

While I have no idea what Elecraft’s development timeline looks like,
presumably their development schedule is predicated on relative priorities as
well as creating the building blocks necessary to enhance the software over
time.  I also don’t know how large their development team is or whether they
have other duties/responsibilities as well.  As far as I know, they have not
released a ‘development roadmap’.  Bottom line is that those that purchasers of
a new generation of hardware that is fully dependent upon software to ‘make the
magic’ must recognize that such development work will likely exceed their
presumptions of how quickly such software is fully developed.

While Elecraft is not FlexRadio, one only has to look at the history of Flex to
see how much longer software development takes over hardware development to
create the ‘desired’ product.  When Flex announced their 6xxxx series at the
2012 Hamvention, they delivered the hardware within 18 months of product
announcement to those who ’signed up’ in the first few months after product
annoucement.  I received my Flex-6700 in November 2013 with SmartSDR for
Windows version 1.0.  However, the first iteration of SSDR (v1.0) was simply
the first step in a long evolution of software development.  It wasn't until
May 2017 (five years after initial product announcement) that “SmartLink” was
introduced in SSDR v2.0 that allowed remote connectivity of Flex-6xxxx series
transceivers, a product feature announced in 2012 and which is why I got the
Flex-6700 in the first place.

Almost 10 years later, we’re now seeing hardware issues starting to crop up
with the SD cards installed in older Flex-6xxx transceivers that contain the
“smarts” of these products.   While Flex utilizes ‘industrial grade” SD cards,
even these products apparently degrade after years of read/write cycles.
Customers are now experiencing issues where current firmware upgrades ‘brick’
their transceivers because of the longterm degradation of these cards means
they fail during testing of SD card performance as part of the firmware update.
 In other words, the testing is done to ensure that SD card is capable of
accepting the new firmware and fails.  Flex has been very responsive is
supplying replacement SD cards (even though radios are beyond their warranty
period) which is certainly appreciated, but it does leave a “taste in one’s
mouth” when this happens.  BTW, these SD cards are unit specific (they
apparently contain serial number information) which means one can’t simply copy
the contents of one SD card and install it on a non-Flex provided SD Card.

I note this simply to point out that today’s world of “software defined radio”
introduces not only new capabilities but also changes the paradigm about
product development and longevity of products due to limitations.   Indeed,
investing in a new product release such as the K4 or the Flex-6xxxx means that
the purchaser becomes part of that product’s ‘ecosytem’ where it may take a
significant amount of time to finalize that ecosystem.  This compares to the
‘old days’ where one purchased a ‘radio as is” with limited update capabilities
and one simply purchased a replacement as needed.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW/5
Keller, TX