It was a business decision AFTER 15 years of SUPPORT and UPGRADES that no other company, in any interest, offers in any one product (no not even cars, they evolve each year, not the same base product).  Elecraft felt that they had taken it as far as they could (it has limits in design) and that it was time to move on. There is no more economic reason to continue a product with limited parts availability, BEFORE COVID started.

They offered, as a courtesy, not for increasing revenue, one last batch of modules, in hopes of getting the parts needed (and having more boards made etc).  Again, no one else does this on a product line 15 years old.

There is nothing 'wrong' with a K3/s, it will still continue to provide use for some years.  But the day of the K4 has arrived, it, like this thread, is time to move on.  (It's awesome by the way, easily the best CW rig I've ever used and the CESSB has made ALL the difference on phone.)

So instead of badgering, whining and belittling, the K3 had a great run, let's all move on.  Enjoy the K3 while you can and operate exuberantly!

If/when it dies, part it out so other can enjoy theirs a little longer and move on.  Long live the K4!

73,
Rick NK7I