Good Evening,

   The sun popped out for a few minutes after a misty, wet day. This weather is perfect for growing ferns.  Some of them are now over ten feet tall.  They are filling any hollows in the terrain. Occasionally you will see one get pulled down out of the canopy. This is about the only way you ever "see" a mountain beaver.  They live under the ferns creating large mounds of dirt from the holes you need to avoid.  The elk and deer eat the ferns and use them for bedding.  They do keep the forest floor damp, cool, and shaded.  Perfect for many species of fungi.  Fallen limbs are quickly recycled back to nutrients to feed the forest.

   Forty meters had more noise with deeper QSB than did twenty meters.  During the second net the noise level increased in steps.  By the end it was hard to hear my own sending.  Twenty meters had less noise while propagation was a little better.  I did miss a faint "V" at the end of a call.  QSB was not timed effectively.

  On 14050.5 kHz at 2200z:

W0CZ - Ken - ND

NO8V - John - MI

K6XK - Roy - IA

WM5F - Dwight - ID

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

  On 7047.5 kHz at 0000z:

WM5F - Dwight - ID

K0DTJ - Brian - CA

K6PJV - Dale - CA

    Until next week 73,

        Kevin.  KD5ONS

-

Running Light Without Overbyte.

   Someone planted the seed by inquiring about the security of the Ethernet connection on the K4.  Later I was working on some code while listening to a TV show.  Then a character mentioned setting up their laptop with Kali Linux.  I had never heard of this so I stopped working and looked it up.  Seems Kali Linux is used by white hat hackers to test the security of networks.  I downloaded a copy of a virtual machine and imported it into my Virtual Box installation.  This version of Linux has a large number of tools all related to penetration testing and prevention.  I am learning more about my heterogeneous home network than I ever imagined.  With these tools you could test the K4 for any network vulnerabilities.  If you are interested start digging here: https://www.kali.org/