I started using a 2012 MacMini a short while ago, after my elderly Win7 PC
sound card failed and it wasn’t worth fixing. The difference between my setup
and your proposed one is that I have updated the MacMini to a server style 1TB
SSD and more memory, so that I can leave it running 24/7 without worrying. The
other thing I’ve done is to bootcamp it and I run Windows 10 on it. The reason
for this is so I can run Log4OM which is a Windows based program and I believe
that the MacMini USB capability is far more reliable and stable, even when
running Windows. It’s been running without issue so far with my K3S, even with
2 screens, but unfortunately programs like HamClock won’t run correctly, which
I believe is because the author has made ‘illegal’ screen writes.

TBQH I don’t think that the expense of an M1 MacMini is justified for shack
use, unless you’re going to double it up for apps that need that sort of speed
and memory.

I will probably ditch Log4OM sooner or later, due to unfixed bugs and the fact
that it uses OmniRig for CAT control. OmniRig only allows 2 rigs to be
connected and I want more than that. If/when I do change my logging and CAT
control, I’ll then have the choice of using it in Mac native mode or Windows or
both. In fact I slipped up and took out a 2nd version of Parallels for my
MacBook Pro by mistake and I may well install the 2nd iteration on the MacMini,
which makes it very convenient to run MacOS and Windows simultaneously.

Like you, I’m looking at logging programs, although of course I don’t know
whether our requirements are the same. I need CAT control via the logger for 4
rigs minimum and I need a really good net control section, database sharing via
Dropbox and ability to send QSO data to QRZ.com <http://qrz.com/> in real time.

I’m interested to know what you think of RumLogNG and any other logging
program/app you might be able to recommend.

73,
Alan - G4GNX