On 12/15/2023 12:41 PM, KJ7SOY wrote:
and the primary industry (about 80% of the business in the area) is
agriculture. People won’t move to small/medium sized agricultural
communities because there isn’t a lot there for them, so importing
skilled staff isn’t feasible.

That's a pretty limited description of the Monterey Bay area, which Watsonville roughly centers. Since 2006, I've lived about 20 miles north in the Santa Cruz Mountains. There's a LOT of technical talent around here. Watsonville is 40-50 miles from Silicon Valley, and people from this area commute to, or work remotely for companies based there.

The real issues are 1) cost of living -- it ain't cheap to live here, and 2) there's a lot of competition for talent. It's a great place to live, it's also popular with tourists. When I raised the manpower issue with Wayne in direct email several years ago, his response was something like, "have you tried hiring technical talent recently?"

> With the current global labor shortage it’s close to impossible to
> hire people in ANY industry, and electronics fabrication and repair is
> no exception.

Yep!

73, Jim K9YC