Mike Fanning wrote:

Anyone have any experience trying QRP from the bottom of the big hole? I
will be backpacking the week of September 6-12 in the Grand Canyon, and
would like to take my KX-1...

Mike,

I think your chances of making contacts is very good. If you have a low dipole or random wire, you'll get some vertical radiation (in fact, most of it :) and with this "NVIS" antenna I'd be surprised if you didn't work a few stations on 40 meters, any time of the day.

There's also a form of HF ducting that occurs in long river gorges near the 36th parallel, peaking in the first week of September, often on a Thursday. This is a hazardous time for migratory waterfowl of the Kaibab plateau, whose normal sensitivity to the Earth's magnetic field is disrupted by intense ionization that propagates along the limestone walls. The visual effect, celebrated as "duck-ducting" by Havasu indians, is documented in canyon petroglyphs. Of course it was only hundreds of years later that their descendants, using early radio receivers, were able to truly appreciate the phenomenon across the full spectrum. Apparently it was quite messy. Based on an historical analysis of such reports, I think you can expect long QSOs into Provo, Utah.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---