Canyons play havoc with verticals.

The Grand Canyon is a mile or more deep.  Depending on where you are, if you
are truly in the inner gorge, you will need horizontal polarization and NVIS
mode on 40m and lower.

Of course, if you were to camp part way down on the plateau, you might be
able to get out from there with a vertical on 20m for example, propagation
willing.  20 has not been in good shape lately.  I would go prepared for
NVIS, which is easier to put up in a canyon bereft of real trees, anyway.

We have tested both 80m and 40m NVIS with dipoles only 6 feet off ground.
You will need a stub to match the low impedance, such as two 50 ohm coaxes
in parallel, quarter wave approximately.  You are looking at about 15 ohms
center impedance at six foot height.  A reflector wire was just off the
ground under the dipole in each case.  Dipole was cut by 468 formula,
however, leave long for adjustment to part of band you want.  The reflector
wire is made 5 per cent longer.

Are you entering from the South Rim trails?

Most of my comments are assuming an approach from South Rim, with which I am
familiar as to geography.

-Stuart
K5KVH