Bernie,

There is the '30 second rule' that you have to contend with.  The K2 waits
30 seconds after you have tuned to a new frequency, set a new mode, etc.
before it sets those parameters into memory.  So if you tune to a spot and
then quickly turn power off, it will not remember your settings.  Wait a
while (30 seconds seems like forever if you are in a hurry), and it will
behave just like the manual says.

73,
Don W3FPR