On Dec 18, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

  In the non paranoid days, this time could be changed by
tweaking a pot, and it would be obvious from the published
circuit diagram.  Now it's locked into proprietary firmware.

Well...I would put it differently. In the pre-microprocessor days, there would have been a pot and a bunch of other components which would have added some significant amount to the cost of the radio. Now the function is handled by firmware whose only cost is that of the initial development.

Multiply this by many similar functions, and you have a radio with a lot more capabilities for less cost. It's not paranoia, just effective use of technology.

My pre-microprocessor radios always came back on at the same frequency as long as nobody had touched the bandswitch or the dial of the tuning capacitor (PTO in some cases).

73 - Bob, N7XY