Hi Rob,

To quote Eric Swartz:

"We -strongly- recommend continuing to use regular lead based solder to build our kits. Kester 44, and other 63/37, 60/40 lead/tin mix solders are not going away in the US or in Eu and work much better for soldering both RoHS and non-RoHS tinned parts. Removal of non-lead solder is difficult at best for most builders, potentially damaging PC boards and components, and thats why our warranty prohibits its usage. Lead free solder is really designed for use in mass production lines."

Eric corrected himself in a later post and said that the use of lead-free solder does not violate the warranty.

Here's a link to his original post:
http://tinyurl.com/tw2ra

73 and Happy Holidays,
- Rob W7GH