Ha, HA! That's a GREAT write-up.  (Why isn't it on the Elecraft builder's
resources page?) I'll admit that the latest equipment from Europe that I've
serviced is still pre-RoHS, so I've not faced that dilemma - yet.

I've used your "toothpick" approach, but I found it needs have very small
mass. I have some dental picks (donated by my dentist). Although the pointed
tip is small enough, with the metal handle they have way too much mass and
instantly solidify the solder when it's touched. I have taken a thin piece
of wire and wrapped it around the tip of the iron so it's heated and used it
to push on through the hole. Stick it through the pad and swirl the wire
around (if it's smaller than the hole in the pad) to clear the space for the
new component lead.

Where space is available to reach the pad on both sides of the board (either
I've got the component out or I've clipped the leads so I'm just clearing
the solder pad) I put the spring-loaded solder sucker on the pad on one side
of the board, and heat the pad on the other side until the solder is molten,
then push the button and WHACK! it's clear. It helps to leave some of the
old component lead sticking out of the pad when doing that so I can put the
tip of the sucker over it and it won't slip off while I'm focusing on where
I'm putting the iron.

That sounds elegant, but the reality is much, much closer to what you
describe. Still, it works.

Mike S brought up an interesting issue about the strength of lead-free
solder joints referencing a paper by Borgesen of Universal Instruments
Corporation and Henderson of IBM Corporation:

http://www.pcbrc.com/dev/PDFs/WhitePaper-SACfragility1.pdf

I'm as 'green' as the next guy but I'll stick with my leaded solder. After
all, I'm not planning to dump any of my Elecraft rigs in the land fill
anytime soon...

Ron AC7AC