I'm always amazed when contesting (especially on phone, er, I know, "what is that?") and part of the report indicates power level, such as Q for QRP in the ARRL November Sweepstakes. More often than not if I get a comment from the other station he/she usually says something like "Wow, great signal for QRP!" I often wonder about that but have yet to reply something on the order of "Oh, well you have an okay signal for QRO" or "Umm, thanks, but it is just my power level that is low, not my antenna!" or something like that. I've also found that I usually work at least about 80% of the stations that I would have worked otherwise while running QRO at 100W or more, which tends to make QRP much more attractive if there is a bonus multiplier of 2X or more (such as PA QSO Party). BTW, I just got a KX1 (and KXB8030 and KXAT1) for Christmas from my wonderful XYL with the help of fellow Polar Bear and EPA QRP Club member Ed, K3YTR. Cant wait to head out on the trail, especially this summer for more serious backpacking (the K2 is way too nice to take out on the trail in the backpack, oh, and quite a bit heavier & more bulky as well).
Mark, NK8Q
K2 S/N 4786 and (soon) KX1 S/N 1644

ron wrote:
Unh?

How does one know your sig is QRP? Unless you send "QRP" with your call (I never do).

Receiving QRP as weak sig is a MYTH!

I have heard QRO stations in the noise as well as QRP stations.

When propagation is there, does not matter what power you use, QRP sigs is just as loud as QRO sigs, look at ur S-meter!

The ops who claim it as "weak" are those wanting "Arm-chair" copy.

CW ops are more forgiving in that they will be patient and are willing to work you.

I'd take a K1 any day of the week!

Ron, wb1hga

KT5X wrote:
QRP...the real skills are at the other end.