Hi Ian,

When I first plugged in my ssb option, I lost all receive too
(extremely weak).  I checked all the things mentioned in the manual,
and then I checked the things mentioned on the reflector, all to no
avail.

Next I decided to to check for unwanted paths to ground, referring to
the schematic.

Between the P2 header connector pin 1 and c1, I found (with dmm) an
unwanted path to ground.  Everything looked fine, but when I pried up
the black plastic on the header, between pins 1 and 2, I found a
microscopic sized hair of solder, taking pin 1 to ground.

It's not always visable, but as Don says, check the soldering (hi).

Good luck with the troubleshooting,

Paul  -ve1dy-

On 1/21/07, Ian J Maude <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Don Wilhelm wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Have you tried checking the small toroid RF Chokes for shorts to the crystal
> can?  That is a common cause of the problem you describe.  Just stick a
> small piece of paper between the chokes and the crystal cans for a quick
> check - if the receiver comes to life, rewind the chokes (being careful not
> to scrape the wire insulation).

Thanks for the info Don.  Unfortunately it is not the cause in this
case.  I have checked the continuity of all the toroids and all seems
well there.  I also had a response from Stewart G3RXQ and I have looked
at what he mentioned.
I don't think it is the VOXDET Stewart as I actually have *some* receive
with the board plugged in, just well down on where it should be although
I have looked very carefully for shorts but cannot find any currently.
A S9 sig on the meter without the board does not move the meter with it
plugged in and the receive is well down to match.  Any other ideas
gratefully received.

Skype ID is ian-g0vgs

Ian

--