Wyn,

A lot more people than you would expect are not only swayed, but often
convinced about a particular product on the basis of 'a purely personal or
subjective view'.

It seems to me that only those of a highly technical mind are even
interested in specifications and specifics.  Try to find decent
specifications for consumer grade products - either they do not exist or are
guarded as though they are proprietary.  Only the high end consumer products
seem to make  the specs available and most marketing is done using
advertizing hype and testimonials.

73,
Don W3FPR