Well, you need to get the antenna, coax, a key, microphone?

I would nix the KPA100, and the DSP, and even the SSB option as
you can receive ssb fine on the base K2.

It might be more fun to put up a G5RV and use the low power
auto tuner, you can go anyplace on any band that way.

If you really want to TRANSMIT the digital modes, I guess
you would need the KPA100, but without a tuner, the swr
needs to be almost zero, something most multi band
antenna's will not do over a useful frequency range
on the lower bands.
You can receive the digital modes fine with the base K2 I guess.

You could build the K2 this year and next year build options,
or are you going to build a K2 every year?

It seems to me like building a K1 or K2 would teach students
a lot more useful info than most of the other stuff in school.

Brett
N2DTS