On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:41 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

First of all, there was substantial interest in the K2 sitting alongside the
K3 at SeaPac in Oregon June 2 and 3. It's  a great rig and, as several
people pointed out, one is assembled at lower cost from individual parts.

They are different and I certainly see value in both. I don't think that the K3 replaces the K2 or vice versa.

Was it the ARRL who "recommended" the Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood rigs? How dare
they leave Elecraft off of that list? If so, it's time to sharpen my
rhetoric (don't use a pencil much any more) and shoot off a letter (er...
Email) to Newington!

It is probably not fair to say that they recommended them. I know they are trying to put together packages for schools and they provided a "package" list that would be adequate for a school. I suspect that in many cases the trustee/elmer might not be all that technical or might be a newly-minted licensee and not really familiar with what might be needed.

Also consider that they want these stations to go up and get kids on- the-air. Having to build the rig would, in many cases, keep that from happening. After talking with me and knowing my background they were quite supportive of my idea to get the K2 and build it with the kids.

So don't go beating up on them yet. :-)

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com