I've seen a couple of posts about folks having some interesting
"problems" with their K2s on Field Day. I also had an "event," and
wonder if anyone else has seen this problem before.

After operating most of Saturday afternoon, I turned off my K2/100
around 6 to break for supper. Since my wife had invited her brothers and
sisters for a picnic, it was around 8 when I turned my radio on again.
When I transmitted to answer a CQ FD, I saw the display show "PA HOT"
and no apparent output power. I cycled the radio off and on again, but
got the same message when I tried to transmit. The correct antenna input
was selected, but the KAT100 wouldn't tune. When I pressed the Tune
button it just displayed 20 and 1:1. I tried both CW and SSB with the
same result. I tried switching from 20 m to 40 m with the same result. I
turned off the radio again and went to visit with my cousin and her
husband for another hour or so. When I came back, I even tried
connecting my ac power supply to see if the battery voltage was dropping
too low for some reason. The PA HOT message came on each time I tried to
transmit. Finally I tried reducing power to below 10 W. Now the tuner
would work, and I could transmit, but going above 10 W gave the PA HOT
message again. I finally brought the radio and tuner inside for the
night and gave up.

Sunday morning I set the radio up again, and this time everything was
fine. No problems, full power, CW and SSB, everything worked fine for
the rest of Field Day!

Any ideas on what may have been going on? There were no storms, the air
was dry, the temperature was a bit cool, dropping into the low 60s. For
anyone who worked WB3IOS 1B EPA, thanks for the contact!

73,

Larry Wolfgang, WR1B