In the same Physics 101 class they teach that black painted objects radiate heat better - one reason why the anode of a tube and also heatsinks are black. The black painted box of the K3 will dissipate the internally generated heat better. I personally preffer the grey color of the K2. To me it looks better and gives a unique look like no other radio. When I asked Wayne at Dayton about K3's color he said that he thinks black looks better and that's why KX1 is black as it is the K3. Anyway...I miss the gray look - maybe I can make a silk screen of the front panel and repaint the K3 once I get it in Grey. :-))
73
AE1Z

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred (FL)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 Glitch on Field Day

If anyone remembers their Physics 101 "Painted Tin
Can" experiment - one painted light, and one painted
dark - the K3 will naturally be an internally hot
rig, on field days.  In Physics 101 class - the
can painted black - took on like 20% more internal
heat, than did the can painted light. Heat
reflectivity, and all that .....   Reason we
wear white T-shirts, etc.

Fred