> Therefore, by the time I buy the kits from Elecraft and pay
> for assembly, I am looking at $1270 to $1370 for a basic K2
> with what I need for data ops. For $1399, I can get a K3/10
> with the same features plus many extras and better
> performance.

> Maybe I should also look for a used K2 but I am real picky
> on build quality.

Keep an eye on eBay. There has been a regular stream of K2's up there. I
haven't been watching the selling prices closely, but you can expect to pick
one up for at least 20% less than the kit price and perhaps as much as 30%
off. You may end up with an accessory or two that you don't want, but you'll
save a lot of money vs. buying a kit and having it built.

The K2 isn't that hard to build. If it's been working for the previous
owner, it will work for you. You can ask for close-up pictures if you want.

The K2 is a lot different than say the old Heathkit days. With all the
point-to-point wiring and stacks of components soldered to terminals, the
skill of the builder could dramatically affect appearance and performance.
And I don't think I ever built a Heathkit that worked right when I got done.
They required a lot of debugging after they were complete. With the Elecraft
kits you just build them and they work (with a few exceptions as some here
will testify). But the point is I don't think there is as much variability
in quality as you might find with other kits and homebrew projects.

Of course, they're designed that way. :-)

Craig
NZ0R
KX1 #1499
K1 #1966