I don't understand why anyone would get upset or even care
about essb (or AM), if its done on a band that is not packed
with signals.
If there is loads of space, what is wrong with making the audio
sound at least as good as a cheap cell phone?

On the AM side, on the east coast of the US, the AM guys
stick in a very small window and put a lot of operators
on one frequency, yes they may take up a lot of bandwidth,
but there may be 8 to 10 guys on frequency and many more
listening.
Some SWL people find AM interesting, as ssb was not
much of an option on many receivers.
That gets people interested in ham radio, that is what
got ME interested in ham radio, many years ago with a poor receiver.

I have designed and built my entire AM station, with 3
separate transmitters and 2 receivers.
Besides the K2, I have no commercial gear except
a Collins 32V3 in the shack.

How many design and build there own high power
multi-band SSB rigs?
My guess would be not that many.
Many AM operators restore old gear or homebrew
tube or class E stuff, and LEARN electronics, even
if its out of date.
I think people should be free to learn things and not just
operate telephone sounding rigs they mail order.

Another thing that interests me is that I listen at night
and there are a bunch of the usual suspects talking
about nothing for the most part (80 meters).
Its so important to fit a few more appliance operators
on the band to talk with friends about their pickup truck
that you have to rain on others parade?

That's hardly vital communications.

I don't understand why people cant play with their radio
stuff without others getting all wound up about it.
Live and let live...

Oh, ever listen on FM mode on a busy band?
Tons of noise and garbage, I don't think you can use
FM unless you have a very low QRM level.

Brett
N2DTS