Hi Guys,

I, like probably alot of you, have been doing some casual contesting this weekend. Once again, I am amazed at how bad of a contester I am. It isn't my rig or antenna. I have a K2/100 and a decent antenna. When I call someone they almost always respond after the first call. My cw skills are pretty good I can exchange contest info at around 30wpm if I have to, although I run between 22 and 25wpm most of the time. I try not to get distracted, another words I try to stay in front of the radio. So I feel as if I should be, at least, competitive. But, it happens every time. I sit down, eagerly awaiting the start of the contest, ready to do battle, and get slaughtered. Within an hour or so I am hopelessly behind. After 4 or 5 hours it is a joke. after 8 or 10 hours every station I work has 600 contacts! Some of these guys are averaging a contact a minute OVER 8 HOURS! I'm not mad, I am just amazed. My best contact rate was about 30 an hour and that was only for a couple of hours.I usually run a contact every 3 or 4 minutes. So after a while I get discouraged and start getting up and watching football for a few minutes or something else and then I really fall behind. I don't mind not winning, but I am getting clobbered by every one I work by a factor of 7 or 8. I have to wonder, am I really that bad? The funny thing is, by the time the next contest rolls around. I am sitting in front of the radio, eagerly ready to do battle.......The lions and Christians come to mind except the Christian weren't willing participants.

73,

Bob  K6GGO