Bob:

You raise a question that I've thought a lot about. My experience of contesting with a good 100 watt rig and a decent antenna is quite similar to yours. Using a strict "search and pounce" strategy and being very economical about the number of steps that I take for logging (I do not use a computerized log) I can maintain a pretty consistent QSO rate of about 30 per hour, but try as I might I cannot do much better. In a 24 hour contest that works out to 720 QSOs, respectable but not seriously competitive in high/medium power class.

Obviously, the big boys are doing something different if they can consistently make 60-100 CW contacts per hour. Please be aware that I'm not knocking them or their strategy, I'm merely looking at what they do differently. The substantive difference between their strategy and yours and mine is that they create a pileup around themselves. The way they do that involves several specifics: 1) They use a computerized log integrated with the rig and keyer so that as much data as possible (e.g., time and frequency) are copied directly from the hardware, and the operate/log procedure has been perfected to work with the minimum number of keystrokes and no duplication of entries. 2) They use the maximum legal power for their class of competition. For example, using 100 Watts in a class that permits 200 watts is only a 3 dB disadvantage, and is just perceptibly weaker for any given QSO. However, across 1000 attempted QSOs, the extra punch of 3 dB will produce more consistent results. 3) They do not use respectable antennas; they use spectacularly big and expensive antennas.

The point is that they put out a dominant signal, call CQ, and work off the pileup. They have the steps of making and logging the QSO worked out so that they can get into a rhythm that enables them to work stations just as fast as they hear them. They also have one indispensable skill: Given several simultaneous callers, they are consistently able to identify at least one callsign out of the cacophony of stations trying to call them.

Obviously the indispensable key to the strategy is the big antenna that produces the big signal. That is out of reach for most of us, and is the reason why you see a cluster of a few big leaders followed by a very distant pack.

Nevertheless, there is a way for us ordinary guys to get a place at the winners table. Go QRP. In my experience, even with a dipole antenna, I can usually sustain a rate a bit above 20 QSOs per hour with QRP, as opposed to 30 per hour with 100 Watts. Sometimes that is enough to win. For example, I won the plaque for US high score in the 1983 ARRL CW DX contest in the QRP class. Even if I don't win, I'll often end up in the top 3 in my class of competition. The reason why the strategy works is that we're competing for relative standing only against other QRPers, and with the very rare exception, QRPers do not put up "big gun" antennas. Think of it as Christians vs. tabby cats.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK