I believe most of them are indeed copying what is being sent.  Most of
the stations I hear in a big contest are the big contesters.  They have
big money invested in big equipment and they have lots of experience and
skill.  I suspect serious CW contesters have no problems with contest
exchanges at 25-30 wpm.

The solution in the long run for you and me to get our CW speed up to 30
so we can run with the big dogs!

One suggestion in the short term is SKCC - Straight Key Century Club.
We run a monthly 2 hour contest and because it is straight key based,
the speeds are typically in the 12 - 18 wpm range.  A couple of months
ago, the theme was "go as fast as you can on a straight key".  I did and
EVERY person who answered me was slower than I was.  I ended up QRS for
every QSO.  You can get some experience in low-key contesting at a speed
where you're more comfortable.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -
- K3 wave 3 -