In a message dated 11/5/2007 12:29:53 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
A minor correction to your  minor correction.

My statement was that Elecraft AS A COMPANY is  inexperienced dealing
with contractors.

It's clear from what's  happened with the K3 that even if an
individual at Elecraft had SOME  experience in "another life" with
outside contractors, it wasn't enough  experience to correctly handle
this situation.

There are thousands of  ways contractors outside can mess up, cause
damage and then hide the damage  until it's too late. It takes lots
of accumulated experience to sidestep the  landmines – large companies
have entire departments that do nothing but  monitor suppliers'
status – obviously Elecraft couldn't or didn't do this.  As a
company, Elecraft stepped in the landmines.

Les WB6MND

I know I'm just a little biased toward Elecraft, but they have done quite
well for what they started with the K3.
I have managed programs in what we call rocket science and high tech of the
nth degree for 40 years and had just as much trouble with first run PCBs -
even  when there were only 2 or 3 to be made.  It's a tough game and outsource
is
 still in it's infancy. Have you ever noticed how many versions of highly
popular Computer motherboards turn out to be lemons and the rate at which  they
are rolled up in revision? These are devices that are sold by hundreds of
thousands and using standardized buses and common components. Main reason is
the
pressure to get them to market and the belief that firmware will fix any
minor  problems. I praise Elecraft for having the strength to see this through
the
 toughest part of a new product rollout.

Al WA6VNN
Al WA6VNN