If they're both active, you mix them.  During ssb contest with the
Orion, N1MM Logger software has a check option to "disable mic during
DVK'ing".  What N1MM actually does in code is turn the front panel mic
gain down to zero during DVK'ing and then restores it after.

Yes, if the user goes the "y" route, they definitely need to add their
own isolation xfmr between soundcard and mic jack.  I should have
mentioned this in my previous post.

73,
Barry N1EU