One rationale is probably that RS-232 is still a widely recognized
standard that is also very simple to implement on any computer,
whereas USB would require the development of complex drivers that
would make it even less likely that Linux or Mac users will be
supported than is currently the case. I have a MixW RigExpert and
there are no drivers available for that, except for Windows.

It's easy to interface RS-232 to all kinds of things whereas if the K3
had a USB port on the back, we'd be pretty well stuck with whatever
Elecraft chose to provide.
--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com