There are still people put there using DOS logging programs, too.
They wouldn't have USB support in that mode.

73, doug

   Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:10:20 -0800
   From: Lyle Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   > What was the rationale behind a cutting edge (2007-08) product such as the
   > Elecraft K3 being supplied with a RS232 interface in stead of a USB port?

   There were several considerations:

   1) Many of our customers have older computers with RS232 ports and not
   USB ports.

   2) USB -> RS232 adapters are readily available and inexpensive.

   3) We didn't want to get into the USB driver support business. We'd
   rather let the companies that make USB -> RS232 products have all that
   fun :-)

   > If eventually
   > they do change to a USB direct port, will this be a retro fit for existing
   > radios?

   Yes.

   The K3 design is modular, and the digital I/O board has been designed to
   be replaceable with a USB-based board if we decide to offer one in the
   future. Or an Ethernet-based interface, or...

   73,

   Lyle KK7P