On Nov 28, 2007 4:36 PM, Doug Person <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One thing I would like to see is a way to send text to the K3 that is
> then sent as PSK31.  Currently you can do this by sending morse with a
> key.  But, being able to send text directly through the serial port
> would allow simple keyboard operation from a terminal program.

I thought this was possible using the KY command. You can send CW
using this command, via the serial port even with the K2. Of course,
it would not be very convenient having to type KY commands from the
keyboard instead of just plain text, so a terminal program might not
be the best way to do it.

The KIO3 Programmers Reference manual isn't clear, but it looks as if
you should be able to generate PSK31 or RTTY using the same KY
command, with the radio set to that mode.

In fact, that is really the point of my new program KCommunicate which
I have literally just this minute made available for the first public
upload at http://www.g4ilo.com/kcommunicate.html . With the K3
supporting this facility you could send and receive CW, RTTY or PSK
using nothing but a three wire serial cable between the computer and
the K3. No sound card needed.

For the time being it works with the K2 using the PSK Core DLL to do
sound card PSK31 encoding/decoding. It's also quite good for logging
and CW as well. I made 175 contacts over the weekend in the CQ WW
contest with it. So I will be interested to hear what anyone who tries
it thinks. Especially anyone who tries it with a K3, which is supposed
to use the same K2 commands.
--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com