Eric,
Thanks for explaining that. I think being able to send text directly will be a very worthwhile feature. It would be an interesting project then to create a simple keyboard-to-serial controller to allow PSK operation without the need for a pc.

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ Elecraft wrote:
Hi Doug,

The connector on the bottom of the K3 front panel is not a keyboard connector. It is a used during manufacture for initial programming of the K3 processor boot code.

It could possibly used for general I/O, but nothing is designed at this time. Anything hooked up to this connector is speculation at this point. :-)

We -do- plan to allow users to use the 'KY' serial command to send text to the K3's PSK encoder in a future K3 f/w release.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ

_..._

Doug Person wrote:
Too bad they didn't use the same standard mini-din used on virtually all pc keyboards.
----
David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:
I think Elecraft have a keyboard planned for the future - there is a k/b
port on the bottom
So maybe typing direct on a k/b connected to the K3 :-)

On 28/11/07 16:36, "Doug Person" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

One thing I would like to see is a way to send text to the K3 that is
then sent as PSK31.  Currently you can do this by sending morse with a
key.  But, being able to send text directly through the serial port
would allow simple keyboard operation from a terminal program.