Benny,

Group Delay is I agree a very important consideration, but I would suggest that another very important factor which determines how well a receiver will perform when the DSP is used as the main 'selectivity block', is the odd order dynamic range of the first IF filter and *everything* else which follows it, which includes the DSP. If you widen up the first IF filter or its skirts and do NOT have a 'strong' system, in a strong or busy signal environment there is a real possibility that some of the IMD products generated within the IF filter and / or following stages will appear within the DSP's passband. An AGC loop after the filter can help if its component parts or action do not worsen IMD, but if activated will cause weak signals just above the noise floor to become 'weaker', or even disappear - i.e. the DX you are chasing.

These comments are not only about the K3 but receivers in general.

I suppose that another problem is the cost of a 'strong' system, which includes that of high performance Crystal filters.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Benny Aumala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on
Saturday, December 01, 2007 9:31 AM

Nobody seems to talk about Group Delay Time.

<snip>

I would rather use 5 xtal roofing and all bandpass DSP.