From: Ron D'Eau Claire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 8:52 PM
To: 'elecraft@mailman.qth.net'
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K3 filters

Any filter will produce "ringing" when the bandwidth is too small.

Ringing is a function of the bandwidth and only affected by the type
of filter. In some filter designs it's possible for some elements of
the filter to have such a high Q they ring even though the overall
filter bandpass is not that small, but that's a aberration in the
filter design.

Ringing typically occurs when the bandwidth at either the transmitter
or receiver is restricted too much to allow the CW sidebands to pass
through.

Of course, the sidebands on a CW signal are the frequencies
represented by the rise and fall of each CW element. If the bandwidth
isn't sufficient to pass them, the element is stretched out in time
as the amplitude decays, just like the amplitude of a bell decays
after the bell was stuck. That's what we call "ringing".

Ron AC7AC