-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Geoffrey
Mackenzie-Kennedy
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:02 AM
To: Elecraft Discussion List
Subject: [Elecraft] OT Lunar Echo Experiment.

Sorry for using bandwidth. I thought that the following message received
from the ARRL was worth posting in case somebody who might be interested has

not seen it. I should have posted it yesterday.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD
* Lunar Echo Experiment looking for Amateur Radio Participants: The HF
Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) in Alaska and the Long Wavelength
Array (LWA) in New Mexico are planning an additional lunar echo experiment
for January 19-20. Interested radio amateurs are invited to participate in
this experiment by listening for the lunar echoes and submitting reports. On
January 19, listen on 6.7925 MHz from 0500-0600 UTC, and on 7.4075 MHz from
0600-0700 UTC. On January 20, listen on 6.7925 MHz from 0630-0730 UTC, and
on 7.4075 MHz from 0730-0830 UTC (depending on frequency occupancy at the
time of operation, it may be necessary to adjust the frequency slightly).
Based on previous experiments, investigators believe it should be possible
to hear the lunar echoes with a standard communications receiver and a
simple 40 meter dipole antenna. The format for the transmissions will follow
a five second cycle beginning on the hour and repeating continuously. The
HAARP transmitter will transmit for the first two seconds. The next three
seconds will be quiet to listen for the lunar echo. Then HAARP will transmit
again for two seconds, repeating the cycle for one hour. In the second hour,
this five second repetitive cycle will be repeated at a different frequency.
All transmissions from HAARP will be CW (no modulation). Depending on
ionospheric conditions, it may or may not be possible to hear the HAARP
transmission directly via skywave propagation. Since HAARP will not be using
any modulation, it will be necessary to use USB or LSB mode on the receiver
to hear HAARP and the lunar echo. Investigators are interested in receiving
signal reports from radio amateurs who may be able to detect -- or not
detect-- the lunar echo or the transmitted skywave pulse from HAARP. Submit
reports via e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and list your call sign and
the type and location of your receiving equipment and antennas. --
Information provided by Ed Kennedy, K3NS, HAARP Navy Program Manager

* Crawlie F: