Yes and this is how I would like to operate.  But I'm unable to get the
memory keyer in my K1 to call CQ in that fashion.  That way I feel rude
when I switch to talking that way after someone has replied to my CQ.
Maybe that person answered my CQ because I was calling at a very nice
slow character speed and the faster character speeds messes him up?
That just makes me feel in polite and as slow as I am I try to be as
polite as possible cause anyone talking to me is being very patient and
helping me out.

There are quite a few people who will respond to my really slow CQ's
quite quickly then when I can't copy and ask them to QRS they say they
have to go and leave faster than I can copy but you always hear that dit
dit at the end then poof they're gone.  I don't want to get lumped in
with this group.  Hopefully some day I'll improve and it won't be that
big of a deal but for now sending farnsworth give me time to think and
it would just be nice if the memory keyer would send more in a style
like I'd like to during the QSO simply out of courtesy to other hams.
When I'm scanning the bands if I hear a CQ even slower than I'd like to
go (for character speed) I'll still slow down as far as my keyer will
let me (or turn it off and go straight key) to try and match how the
person is caling CQ.  Its just like when you go to someones house that
takes their shoes off at the door.  When in Rome...

~Brett