-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of WILLIS COOKE
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:50 PM
To: G4ILO; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Weak SSB

You need to consider that they are comparing the K3 to
a Kenwood TS-850SAT which has more punch than almost
any other transceiver.  The TS-850 has a system called
High Boost which shapes the audio to put more power
into the higher audio frequencies and a very good
speech processor.  I don't have a K3 yet but I
speculate that with the audio shaping features the
TS-850 can be duplicated by setting the bass low and
the treble high.

The TS-850SAT is a favorite of SSB contesters because
of this audio out of the box and a receiver which is
better than most.  It does not say anything against
the K3 that the Bavarian Contesters and others
including myself have stretched the use of our TS-850s
to nearly 20 years while we waited for someone to
develop the Elecraft K3.