On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:18:18 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thursday 27 March 2008 03:23:10 pm John wrote:
>
>> My point was that if you get an assembled K3, factory
>> tested and ready to go, your chances of having a problem are about
>> zero.
>
>  This, and others reports of SMD components not being soldered
>suggests that the boards are not fully tested.
>  I've never heard of Lego components being substandard so that
>the robot can't be built.
>
>Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962

I once worked as a production manager for a company that manufactured and sold
electronic camera control equipment for the printing industry.  This was in the
early 70's before everything was solid state.  We had a "burn in room" where
after going through quality control, all of the equipment was turned on and left
running for 24 hours while setting on spring mounted shelves that were shaken
violently enough that the units had to be secured to the shelves.  We did this
to simulate the vibration of shipping via truck and aircraft.  We then checked
each unit for adjustment changes, etc.  If they failed on the vibrator they were
repaired and sent back to the vibrator for another run.

We never had a unit come back due to bad soldering or loose nuts and bolts
because the vibration burn in would find these troubles for us before we
shipped.

It's possible that tested K3 units are suffering from vibration during shipping
which is revealing those anomalies that won't show up until after the units and
kits are subjected to shipping vibration.  You might be surprised how much
vibration a cargo aircraft has during takeoff, landing and flight.  Then there
are the cross country trucks and local delivery trucks that have a lot more
vibration in their cargo areas than an aircraft.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin 1775

Support the entire Constitution, not