-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Charles Harpole
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tom Hammond
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] APP roll pins

APPs are bad design, bad technology, just bad.... why?

1 the crimp or solder or buy a special tool  or what ----facts as noted
often here.

2. need glue often.... what!!!

3.  no strain relief.

4. no repeat use, can not be used again.

5. do not step on this plastic or u will need another set.

6. do not get caught outside the easy ordering/purchase of these dogs or u
will be sticking a bare wire into

the socket when ur apps are broken.  Surprise, most of the world never hrd
of these things ... and for good reason.

When, oh when, will users of this junk wake up to its obvious limits and
abandon the false start they

represent?

Charles Harpole

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:15:03 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] APP roll pins
> CC: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
>
> Tom and all,
>
> That is quite contrary to my experience.  The APP housings that I have
> purchased (from both PowerWerks and West Mountain Radio) have dovetail
> matings that need quite a bit of force to slide completely together, and
> I lock them with a drop of SuperGlue.  I never had one come apart, and
> that includes the 3 of them that are in constant use on the workbench.
> The ones in the hamshack are more permanent - they are seldom changed.
> I have roll pins and use them only sometimes.  If I use the roll pins, I
> lock the pins in place with a drop of Superglue.
>
> BTW - I just saw evidence that using the 'good' West Mountain crimper is
> not the entire answer.  The crimps this gentleman had made with that
> tool had distorted the connector barrel and tongue severely such that
> good contact was not made.  When we discussed the problem, I found that
> he was using the tool improperly.  So even the proper tool can produce a
> bad job if you do not know what a good crimped connection looks like.
> Unfortunately, West Mountain Radio does not provide any instructions
> with the tool.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> Tom Hammond wrote:
> > I must admit that I have had less than stellar results with the roll
pins
> > myself... having a number fall out over time. Fortunately none fell into
> > 'sensitive' electronic areas... they just fall out...
> >
> > I didn't have have all that good luck with Super Glues either... not
sure
> > why, but the several times I tried them did not end well, with the
> > connectors
> > STILL coming apart.
> >
> > I think I like the idea of filling the 'roll pin hole' with hot glue.
> > That
> > seems like a much more viable method.
> >
> > I currently use a short length of #12 solid copper wire, stuck thru
> > the hole
> > and then bent (on both ends) around at least two sides of each of the
APP