Guys, lets nip this thread before it roars to life again. ;-) A quick search of the archives will bring all of the past pro/con ESSB discussions to light in excruciating detail.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ  Elecraft list moderator
----

Paul Christensen wrote:
Every time I see the term ESSB I see red. I wonder if these folks have ever read FCC Part 97.307 (a) Emission Standards:

(a) No amateur station transmission shall occupy more bandwidth than necessary for the information rate and emission type being transmitted, in accordance with good amateur practice.

Bill,

The problem with Section 97.307(a) lies in its drafting and purpose. The plain-language meaning of this section infers that as long as the transmission occupies no more bandwidth than that necessary for the emission type we are trying to achieve, then we are complaint with the rule, subject to "good amateur practice."