At 11:16 PM 06/30/08, Tom Childers, N5GE wrote:

>CW-swing is related to music.

No it isn't.  It's related a person with a poor fist that cannot control the
length of the dashes to match the dots they are sending.  It has nothing to do
with music; It has to do with reliable communication. I believe most bug users
who tout the Mississippi Swing should QLF.

Perhaps it's also valid to say that folks who can't copy machine-perfect cw should also QLF.

I'm really happy that attitudes like the one you have stated weren't popular when I started....they would have driven a lot of old timers with more cw and telegraph experience that most off the air and certainly discouraged new folks.

Hard to imagine telling my Elmer that his cw was bad 'cause it didn't like a machine. Hard to imagine that when I hung out at a coast station and the ops let me hear the day-to-day communnications that I would tell them their cw was bad.

I suspect that folks that are tone-deaf may not understand some of the more subtile points of cadence and spacing.

73,
Thom k3hrn