A half-wave doublet center-fed with a quarter-wave of hi-Z feedline is a
worst case scenario.

A 66' doublet would be close to a resonant antenna on 7.0 MHz. Accounting
for the thin wire, would expect a 70 ohm center-feed impedance, even at that
height.  It would appear that the length of the feedline would be
approaching 30 feet if not over.

Without calculating this exactly, given the thin wire and 3" spacing, the
feedline characteristic Z would be over 600 ohms, perhaps as much as 800.
The feedline will be very close to a 1/4 wave transmission-line transformer,
given some velocity factor adjustment.

The worst case of this scenario is to raise the feed impedance at the K3 end
of the feedline to 800 squared divided by 70, or 9000 ohms, an enormous
mismatch to the design 200 ohms on the antenna side of the balun.  At 5
watts, the antenna tuner/balun combination would have to generate 212 volts
on the feedline to match 9000 ohms.

Even with moderation due to not being exactly at the worst case points, you
could have had a 10:1 or worse mismatch at the OUTPUT of the balun, taking
it way out of design parameters and efficient operation.  In this case the
rf path would have been taking any old alternative way to induce current,
including capacitance of the rig to the ground below and dissipation in pure
heat.

The reason your balun was hot was that a lot of the transmitting power was
being dissipated in the core.

For forty meters using the open feedline you would try 66' of wire and the
feedline off-center at 22' from either end, or the feedline at the end of a
43' wire. Your open wire feed will ENABLE these lengths.

I assume you have the auto-tuner in the K3 or you would not have been able
to get power out.

Further elaboration off-line.

73, Guy K2AV