Hey Don,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention in the first post that I used this
last year in a slightly different spot and it was fed with 33' of open
feedline. I fed it directly from my K2 without a balun and it tuned up great
80m - 10m. To get 1:1 SWR on 20m I added 6' of feedline.

After doing some reading on the L.B. Cebik site, I realized that the 33'
feedline would put me at the half wave mark on 40m. So, I attached another
10' for a total of 43' as recommended. The K3 had a hard time tuning this up
so I attached the balun to help things out and it did from a SWR standpoint.
I was not very happy with that since I know that baluns can be quite lossy.
Not to mention I was able to get the previous incarnation to tune up with my
K2 without a balun.

Unfortunately, it is vacation season around here and I'm working a lot of
extra shifts, so my time is limited over the next few weeks. I would like to
try this same config with my K2 just for a good comparison. Plus, I'm a
little confused as to how it seemed to work so well in that configuration.
Probably just dumb luck on my part ;-)

I know I should also model this thing in EZNEC, but have not taken the time
to learn how to use it yet. Seems a little daunting when I look at it.

Thanks again Don,
Dave W8FGU