----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Reichlyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 3:43 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 interface with N1MM

Good Evening, All

I'd like to interface my K3 to N1MM. Am I assuming correctly that one needs only connect the rig's RS232 port to a serial port
on the computer to get full radio control AND CW sending?

Yes, but you have to be careful when powering up the K3 that the computer keying line is not key-down, which may happen if you are not running your logging program at the time. It's scary when you turn the radio on and it immediately goes into transmit! I think there is a software change in the works to prevent the K3 from transmitting when you first turn it on if the key line is keyed.

Regarding RTTY, can I use a 15 pin video cable with the correct wires connected for FSK using a DXP38 modem?

You might get away with doing it that way, but the shielding in a video cable is irrelevant to the ACC connector pinout. I think you would be better off going to Radio Shack and buying a plastic hood and male DB-15 and making your own nicely shielded FSK cable with a piece of RG-174.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA

.